Well – may be late, but it’s not the end of January yet!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Watched my child “graduate” from preschool and then start Kindergarten
Changed jobs to a completely new industry
Set the foundation for 2009
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Organization! Organization! Organization!
We worked on clearing out the garage, purged baby/toddler clothes, trips to charity drop-offs and the dump. Feel pretty good about it.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My brother and SIL – my first niece.
Friend adopted her 2nd. Friend of mine at work had his 2nd. Another friend had twins via a surrogate.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Two years running, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Time, creativity, less work-focus
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 18, 2008 – my niece was born
September 29, 2008 – started my new job
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Practice “doing nothing”. I’m still learning.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Don’t know that I had a failure in 2008.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Persistent, irritating, recurring, sinus infection.
Was in the ER way late one night because of sharp chest pain, turned out to be nothing. Still not convinced it’s completely gone, likely a pinched nerve.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
1. New ink (probably 90% done by end of 2008)
2. David Yurman ring, first fine jewelry purchase with my own money.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My family. My husband continues to be great support when I can be a royal bitch. My kid has a heart of gold, she’s always there for me when I need her.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Again, I’m pretty fortunate in the friend & family department. How about the Bush Administration?
14. Where did most of your money go?
The usual – mortgage, car payments, childcare, good food, good wine.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Pretty mellow year, I don’t remember any excitable exciting moments.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
More Bacon Than the Pan Can Handle – Mike Doughty
Anything off of R.E.M. – Accelerate
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier. Same. Same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Put down the laptop and walk away…
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Give myself over to my job (see a pattern?)
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Snow-bound in my warm home with Norman, the kidlet and cat.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Again – no real hate. Such bad juju.
24. What was the best book you read?
Persepolis, graphic novel of a woman growing up in Iran.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I took the day off of work, worked out with my trainer, spent most of the day at the spa with massage, facial, lunch & lounging. Dinner out with my girl at my favorite local restaurant. Sadly, Norman was in Japan.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Time on my deck in warm weather.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Chic comfort, with killer heels.
32. What kept you sane?
Music. It’s always the music.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one really comes to mind.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
That a certain VP candidate was not a good choice because she has young children. i.e. the working mother conundrum. And no, I did *not* support this candidate or party! Not even for a micro-second! She wasn’t a good choice for so many other, justifiable, reasons.
35. Who did you miss?
Family not living close
36. Who was the best new person you met?
New book club gals
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
As much as I try to control it all, the universe never fails to throw a curveball that forces me to rethink the entire approach.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“I’m not one to sit and spin
‘cuz living well is the best revenge
Baby, I am calling you on that”
“I’m not that easy
I am not your horse to water
I hold my breath
I come around, around, around”